Women’s soccer makes first Big East road trip

Coming off a dramatic overtime win Sunday against FAU, the USF women’s soccer team looks to keep its momentum going tonight at 7 against Connecticut in the team’s Big East road opener.

USF, a team in search of its first conference win of the year, lost its Big East opener to Marquette in overtime Friday night but bounced back Sunday with a 1-0 win against FAU.

“It was nice to get a victory on a day we deserved to win,” assistant coach Chris Brown said. “A draw or a tie probably wouldn’t have sat real well. The fact that we were able to push through that and get a win obviously increases your confidence.”

Now it’s up to the team to build off that high and take care of business tonight against Big East rival Connecticut — a team USF has never beaten.

“There are 10 or 11 Big East games left, so from that standpoint, it won’t make or break us,” Brown said. “But a win up here against (Connecticut), a traditional powerhouse, would be huge for the girls and the program.”

Connecticut has a 3-5-1 record this season but has beaten USF in each of the previous three years.

The Bulls come into tonight’s game looking to improve on their late-game scoring opportunities, coach Denise Schilte-Brown said.

“We would like to execute in the final third, and maybe not go into overtime again,” she said.  “But I think if we find ourselves there, we’ll be in familiar territory and with an advantage.”

Sunday’s win improved USF’s record to 4-2-2. The Bulls have gone to overtime in six of their eight games this year, posting a 2-2-2 record in those contests.

Schilte-Brown said the team had a very positive week, and the girls are ready for a challenge.

“They’re excited, ready and headed in the right direction,” she said.

After facing Connecticut, the Bulls return home to take on Providence on Sunday at 11 a.m.

The game will be televised live on the Bright House Sports Network as part of a double header with the USF men’s soccer team, which plays West Virginia on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Providence comes into the weekend with a 5-2 record. The team faces Marquette tonight.