Women’s soccer hits the road

The USF women’s soccer team (0-0-1) travels to Birmingham, Ala. to face the University of Alabama at Birmingham Blazers (0-2-0) today in what will be the Bulls’ second match of the season and their first on the road.

The Bulls are coming off a 1-1 double-overtime tie at home in the season opener against the University of North Florida, a tie that USF head coach Denise Schilte-Brown said could have been a win if the Bulls had had a little more firepower, something the team plans to focus on before facing the Blazers.

“We need to work on our execution in the last third of the field,” Schilte-Brown said. “We haven’t made that final pass or that final shot that turns a string of passes into a goal.”

The Bulls had 28 shots against UNF, compared to only three taken by the Ospreys.

Because of this shot differential, Schilte-Brown made it a priority to work on the Bulls’ offensive accuracy against the Blazers this weekend.

UAB is looking for its first win of the year after having lost the first two games of the season to the Clemson Tigers and the Auburn Tigers, both of them on the road.

The Blazers are having offensive issues of their own. UAB hasn’t scored a goal this season, which could be affecting the Blazers psychologically.

“I think a lot of what is going on right now is mental,” said Blazers freshman Laura McCalla to uabsports.com.

Other UAB players seemed to agree that the team must focus on its mindset.

“We need to start being more creative and confident with our scoring opportunities,” said UAB senior Nadine Liverpool to uabsports.com.