Lockwood earns All-American honors

USF’s Ryan Lockwood did not go unnoticed this season. The freshman outfielder’s achievements keep earning him awards.

Lockwood was selected as Freshman of the Year by Collegiate Baseball News on June 4. He was also named to the first team of the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Freshman All-American (NCBWA) team and earned a spot on the Louisville Slugger All-American team.

“Lockwood deserves to be on this (NCBWA) team. What he did this year was unbelievable,” USF coach Lelo Prado said in a press release. “He’s just going to get better and better. He’s the type of kid that will keep working hard at parts of his game. He had a great freshman year and not too many guys can say they were freshman All-Americans.”

Lockwood led the Bulls with a .415 batting average, and was on an NCAA-leading 30-game hit streak before his season was ended by a broken hand May 10.

Gransberry gets individual workoutsThe NBA draft is two weeks away, and former USF center Kentrell Gransberry is taking strides to hear his name called June 26.

Gransberry, who participated in pre-draft camps in Portsmouth, Va. and Orlando, has four individual workouts scheduled before the draft.

His first workout is scheduled for June 13 with the Seattle Supersonics. He will then have workouts with the Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers and Toronto Raptors.

Gransberry said individual workouts are a combination of team interest and agents calling around.

“It’s a wonderful feeling to get an individual workout,” he said. “It’s a great opportunity for me to show teams what I can do and, hopefully, improve my draft stock.”

Gransberry is also trying to set up more workouts in the days leading up to the draft.

“I would like to get more workouts in if I can,” he said. “It’s just a matter of getting the right dates set up.”