Two Bulls named All-Americans

After a historic 2007 season including a national ranking of No. 2 and a record-breaking crowd (67,018) watching the South Florida football team upset West Virginia at Raymond James Stadium, high expectations have been put on the Bulls for the 2008 season. Those expectations include junior defensive end George Selvie and senior linebacker Tyrone McKenzie being selected to the preseason All-American list.

While Selvie is a first-team All-American, and McKenzie is a fourth-team All-American, both are on the watch list for prestigious awards such as the Lott trophy (Defensive IMPACT Player of the Year) and Nagurski trophy (Best Defensive Player).

Last year, Selvie led the nation in tackles for loss (31.5) and was second in the nation in sacks. His 14.5 sacks led the Big East conference. McKenzie led the team and was fourth in the conference with 8.77 tackles per game.

Eight preseason polls rank the Bulls in the top 25, including those of rivals.com (22) and CBS Sportsline (19).

Freshman of the YearSouth Florida outfielder Ryan Lockwood was announced as the 2008 Freshman of the Year by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper, and was selected to the Louisville Slugger freshmen All-American team.

Lockwood ranks 18th in the nation in batting average (.415) and leads the conference in on-base percentage (.493).

Lockwood completed his freshman year on a 30-game hit streak that began Mar 19. With nine games left, however, Lockwood suffered a broken finger and was unable to play for the rest of the season.

The Tampa native was named to the conference honor roll three times in the 2008 season. He was also named to the first all-conference team.

Men’s soccer signs fourDespite losing three seniors, the men’s soccer team signed four new players to the roster.

Jorge Mora and Zak Boggs are transfer students from North Carolina State and Central Florida respectively.

Aubrey Perry from Ocoee, Fla. is a defender and member of the U.S. Under-18 and Under-20 national teams ,while midfielder Sebastian Thuriere from Seminole is the 2007 All-Pinellas county player of the year.