Large-scale exhibit `impacts’ students

Some rare sights around campus may have turned a few heads this week. In his latest exhibit, “Impact Sight,” artist Cameron Gainer strives to make his larger-than-life work accessible to the greatest possible number of viewers – a reflection of his interest in the relationship between photography and art. Gainer said he wants his artwork to be appreciated by everyone, not just those with a more developed knowledge of art. Hence, Gainer welcomes viewers to photograph his work.

USF senior art student Danielle Conkling, who worked with Gainer on his meteorite piece, pointed out that cameras have become ubiquitous, and photography has become a language. Cameras are readily available on our phones and laptops. As a result, images that we find inspiring are easily transferable.

1. Riverfront Park is home to the one installation of Gainer’s exhibit: a large-scale depiction of Bigfoot.

2. Gainer’s work, which is somewhat hidden by the park’s foliage, is striking once visitors find it.

3. The meteorite piece, installed on the south side of the Contemporary Art Museum, is an interpretation of what an immediate effect would look like. It is made almost entirely of foam, yet the school has placed caution tape around it to prevent it from falling on students. According to Conkling, Gainer was not happy about the caution tape, as it was not in line with his goal for the piece.

4. A sculpture of the mythical Loch Ness Monster, which is visible from Bruce B. Downs Boulevard, is located in the Botanical Gardens Lake Behnke.

Sunny Boyd and Jackie Haberman contributed to this report.