USF Sweeps Cornell 7-0

The USF men’s tennis team stayed perfect at home and improved its overall record to 10-4 when they defeated the Cornell Big Red on Wednesday.

USF won all its men’s singles and doubles matches in impressive fashion. The No.1 through No. 5 seeds – led by Freshman Lucas Jovita – all won their matches in straight sets.

No. 1 seed Lucas Jovita won his match 6-1, 6-1 and No. 2 seed – senior Hamed Mahmoud -won 6-0, 6-2. Sophomore Toledo Diego won his match in a three-set tie breaker 7-6, 2-6, 10-8.

USF also won all three of its doubles matches to finish the match with a 7-0 team victory.

Coach Don Barr said the Big Red came ready to compete and that his team is “learning how to play through teams that are coming after us.”

The Bulls also had to work against the elements on a windy day. Coach Barr liked the way his team “I liked the way the team battled through the wind,” Barr said. “The players didn’t use that as an excuse, which is very good for a young team.”

Overall coach Barr was happy with his team’s performance saying USF looks to continue its success at home for the second day in a row today when they face another out of conference opponent in Winthrop (7-5).

Winthrop is currently on a four game winning streak, and Coach Barr is prepared for a “good, hard-fought match” out of the Eagles.

“The team isready for a real battle,” Barr said. “I just hope the wind is a little better.”

Game time is set for 2pm today at the USF Men’s Varsity Tennis Courts.