Jones earns Big East honor

Dominique Jones – freshman guard for the South Florida men’s basketball team – was picked as the Big East Rookie of the Week for the fourth time this season.

Jones – who set the Bulls’ freshman scoring record during USF’s 79-75 loss to the Seton Hall on Feb. 26 – averaged 24 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 2.5 assists during the week.

He also hit the game-winning shot against Rutgers on Saturday that gave the Bulls their first Big East road win since joining the conference in 2005.

“He’s had an outstanding freshman campaign,” USF head coach Stan Heath said in a press release. “The only thing that maybe stops him from being the Freshman of the Year is our record. Outside of that I don’t think there’s anybody as a freshman that’s outplayed him.”

Season’s best finishThe USF men’s golf team wrapped up play Monday at the Ron Smith/USF Invitational with its best finish of the season.

The Bulls left the Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club with an 883 (+8) team score – good enough for a seventh-place finish.

USF was led by senior Tyler Hitchcock, who shot a 215 over the three round tournament. He shot a one-under 71 on Monday.

“That was our best finish this year and we finally put together a few decent rounds and hopefully we can build off of this and play well the rest of the year,” Hitchcock said in a press release.

Full houseOn the eve of spring practice, the USF football team has filled the last vacancy in its coaching staff. Jim Leavitt hired former South Carolina State defensive coordinator John Hendrick to coach the defensive tackles, according to the St. Petersburg Times.

Hendrick is no stranger to the Big East, having played college football at the University of Pittsburgh from 1979-1981. He previously coached with recently hired defensive coordinator Kevin Patrick.

He also worked with Leavitt from 1991-1992 while the two where at Kansas State.