Football team to face changes

The South Florida football team lost a member of its family Friday to another Florida school.

Dan McCarney, former South Florida assistant head coach, accepted a job as an assistant coach for the Florida Gators after one year of coaching the Bulls’ defensive line.

“My family and I have made the difficult decision to leave the University of South Florida,” McCarney said in a press release. “I developed a tremendous bond with the staff and players and I can’t say enough good things about them. I was fortunate enough to join the USF program for one of the most memorable seasons of my career and I will always have fond memories of my time as a Bull.”

McCarney coached 2007 All-American defensive end George Selvie during the lineman’s breakout sophomore year. Selvie led the nation in tankles for losses (31.5) and was second in the country in sacks (14.5).

“Dan did an outstanding job for us this season,” USF head coach Jim Leavitt said. “I have known him since 1989, he’s an excellent coach and will always be a good friend. I couldn’t be more impressed with the results he produced on the defensive line for us this season. We are going to miss him and wish him well.”

PRICES ON THE RISEThe 2007 USF football team achieved its highest level of success, and as it grew, so did the demand to watch them.

When demand increases, prices follow.

The price for 2008 season tickets went up at least $3 in every section.

Students, however, need not worry. Tickets to all home games remain free to USF students.

The largest home attendance prior to the 2007 season was 49,212. The Bulls broke that record four times in 2007, and averaged 53,170 fans per game.

In addition to a price increase, 10 additional sections will be opened for season ticket holders.

The Bulls will face Kansas, Rutgers, Connecticut, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Tennessee-Martin at home in 2008.