WOMEN’S BASKETBALL GAME TIME

Syracuse (13-2, 1-1) at USF (10-5, 0-2)When: Sat., 7Where: Sun DomeTV/Radio: 1010 AM

The University of South Florida’s women’s basketball team (10-5, 0-2 Big East) will try to end a three-game losing streak Saturday as they play host to the Syracuse Orange (13-2, 1-1 Big East) at the Sun Dome.

Over the span of the slide, the Bulls have lost by a combined total of 45 points, an average of 15 points per game. The losing streak started with a road game against Vanderbilt where USF lost by 27 points, putting the Bulls on the wrong path heading into conference play.

Now, the team is 0-2 in the Big East.

With the conference being one of the toughest in America, the women will face the daunting task of playing teams such as No. 1 Connecticut, No. 5 Rutgers, No. 14 Notre Dame and No. 21 DePaul in the coming weeks.

Before the losing streak, the team had won eight games in a row. The combined record of the teams the Bulls defeated during that streak is 53-59, a 47 percent winning percentage. The Bulls’ 10-5 record is tied for last in their conference.

Junior guard Shantia Grace and junior center Jessica Lawson took turns leading the team in scoring during the span, and Lawson was a frequent leader in rebounds, averaging seven per game.

Over the past few games, Lawson’s hamstring has hampered her. According to USF coach Jose Fernandez, Lawson was injured during the Vanderbilt game, and her practice time has been limited since.

The match-up with the Orange is part of a two-game home stand. After Syracuse, the Bulls will go head-to-head with Providence, who has the same number of wins with one less loss.