IN BRIEF

The suspended USF student facing federal explosives charges didn’t want to meet with his attorney, John Fitzgibbons, in jail Sunday, so a hearing is set to take place today to decide if Fitzgibbons will continue to work the case.

Citing concerns that he could not properly represent Mohamed, Fitzgibbons filed a motion to withdraw Monday in U.S. District Court.

Fitzgibbons wrote that his client, an Egyptian national studying in the U.S. on a student visa, authored a note stating: “I don’t want you to represent me anymore.”

The Egyptian Embassy, which appointed Fitzgibbons on Oct. 24, did not return calls to the Oracle. Fitzgibbons, who is notorious for representing a former middle school teacher who had sex with a student and an American Idol finalist recently caught in the legal limelight, was also not available for comment.

Mohamed and Youssef Megahed were arrested Aug. 4 in Goose Creek, S.C., after police conducted a voluntary search of their car and found what were later confirmed to be pipe bombs in the trunk.

Whether the prosecution can use the pipe bombs as evidence has since been questioned, as assistant U.S. Public Defender Adam Allen recently argued that the search was based upon illegal racial profiling.

Mohamed and Megahed are charged with transporting explosive material without a license, but the former is also accused of teaching how to use an explosive device.

Allen, who represents Megahed, didn’t think it was his place to comment on Mohamed’s situation.

“That’s really something outside my realm,” he said.

Although he would not answer specific questions about his relationship with Megahed, Allen was confident he would continue working with him.

“I have no reason to believe I will not continue to represent my client,” he said. “I look forward to continue representing my client.”

– Victoria Bekiempis