Letters to the Editor

RE: “Health Fair Raises AIDS Awareness” Nov. 28

I was ecstatic to see that the AIDS epidemic is no longer being taken as lightly as it was in the past. Yes, we are taught about the potential risk of transferring AIDS sexually during high school, but that’s the only thing we are taught about it. Misconceived notions are planted into heads by society.

Because it is mainly a sexually transmitted disease, some people think that the victim’s negligence to use protection or get tested is the primary reason they are suffering. Therefore, the 38.6 million suffering from AIDS worldwide (as mentioned in the article) shouldn’t get the same respect as those suffering from other illnesses.

The fact that our Student Health Service is exerting effort to promote World AIDS Day on Dec. 1 is amazing. It just proves that society is coming to grips with the fact that this epidemic has no face, yet affects everyone who populates the Earth. I applaud everyone involved in the project.

Naima Tabernuro is a sophomore majoring in mass communications.

Re: Editorial, Nov. 26

When I read the editorial, I was a bit ashamed that people are still discriminating against how certain people decide to live their personal lives.

Seeing this taking place in a military program is even worse. The military is supposed to protect the rights of freedom for all its citizens, so why would they not protect the right for certain people to be gay? It seems a little contradictory in my eyes.

Someone being openly gay or straight has nothing to do with whether or not they should be able to serve their country. ROTC wants to blame it on society, but in reality society doesn’t care that much about the orientation of a person.

We as citizens just want to feel secure. We want to know that if anything were to happen, our military would be able to protect us from all harm. With this said, the ROTC just needs to own up to the fact that they are looking for excuses.

Tashana Hercules is a sophomore majoring in accounting.