MEN’S SOCCER GAME TIME

Georgetown (7-10-1) at USF (11-4-2)When: Tonight 7:30Where: USF Soccer stadium

In search of an NCAA tournament berth for the first time since 2005, the men’s soccer team will host Georgetown in the first round of the Big East championship.

If the Bulls can perform well enough in conference tournament play, they’ll qualify for the 12th NCAA tournament in school history.

“Our confidence is high right now and we’re training hard,” junior center back and team captain Yohance Marshall said. “I think from now on you’re going to see us come out like we did against St. John’s. Every game from here could be the last game. Our seniors have a chance to do something big, and I think everyone will play their best for them.”

For the Bulls, the odds are in their favor. The Hoyas come into tonight’s match with a 3-4 road record and face a USF team that finished the regular season 7-1 at home.

“We’ve been good at home this year,” Marshall said. “To have a home game in the playoffs is always good, and it helps to keep building our confidence.”

Georgetown comes in having scored only 14 goals all season and faces a USF defense that has only allowed 15. The one comforting bit of news for Hoyas fans is that they’ve scored equally well on the road as they have at home.

Against common opponents, USF has fared a bit better with a record of 5-3-1, as opposed to Georgetown’s 4-5 record against those same teams. The Hoyas finished their season fifth in the Blue Division at 7-10-1.

The most encouraging factor for the Bulls, however, is how well they’ve fared in Big East tournament play within the friendly confines of USF soccer stadium. In each of their first two seasons in the league, the Bulls have hosted a first-round Big East championship game and won big.

Last year, the Bulls took down Seton Hall 5-1 to advance to the second round of the tournament in Morgantown, W. V. In 2005, the Bulls beat the Mountaineers at USF soccer stadium 4-1.

If USF can win tonight, the team will head to Storrs, Conn. for second-round play where the Bulls will face the only team to beat them at home this year – the nation’s No.1 Connecticut Huskies.