WOMEN’S SOCCER GAME TIME

Syracuse (5-5-3) at USF (2-5-2)When: Tonight, 6Where: USF Soccer StadiumTV/Radio: None

The USF women’s soccer team concludes its home schedule with a pair of Big East conference games at USF Soccer Stadium this weekend. Tonight, the Bulls will play host to the Syracuse Orange. On Sunday, USF plays the St. John’s Red Storm.

Tonight’s game against the Orange will be the Bulls’ third attempt to achieve a program milestone at home. The women’s soccer program will be looking for its 100th all-time victory. Head coach Denise Schilte-Brown is also creeping up on a milestone of her own. Schilte-Brown – in her 10th season as a head coach – has 96 victories on her resume.

Tonight’s match-up against Syracuse is important to USF for another reason. The Bulls (2-5-2, 1-2-1) are tied with Syracuse (5-5-3, 1-3-1) for the final playoff spot in the American Division of the Big East Conference. The winner will have a little bit of breathing room as the regular season begins to wind down.

The Bulls will likely focus their defensive efforts on trying to stop senior midfielder Jen Taormina. Taormina leads the Orange with six goals – two of which were game winners – and one assist in 12 games this season. Goalkeeper Eliza Bennett-Hattan has played every minute for the Orange this season, and she has posted four shutouts on the season.

On Sunday the Bulls have something special lined up for three players on the team: Seniors Autumn Browning, Paulina McIntosh and Ashley Quaid will be honored before the final home game of their USF careers.

The Bulls will face a formidable opponent in St. John’s (8-2-2, 3-2). St. John’s has a potent offense led by three key players. Senior forward Krystle Jalalian leads the Red Storm with five goals and two assists on the season. The Red Storm is also getting help from underclassmen. Freshman midfielder Raelynne Lee and sophomore forward Kelly McConnell have both tallied four goals and two assists.