Men’s soccer ties up Florida Atlantic

Midfielder Simon Schoendorf has helped lead USF to a 1-1-2 record during its season long four-game road trip this season. ORACLE PHOTO/JOE ROBERTS

Team captain Yohance Marshall continued his stellar play Tuesday by helping the men’s soccer team come away from its match against Florida Atlantic with a 1-1 tie.

The goal was Marshall’s first of the season and was one of the few highlights in the third match of the last four to go into an extra session for the Bulls.

“We started out slow,” coach George Kiefer said. “I felt like we picked up the pace of the game in the last 20 minutes of the first half and started creating some good chances.”

FAU got the scoring started in the 17th minute when a pass from Owls defender David Acosta found the head of midfielder Gianni Piccoletti and flew past USF goalkeeper Diego Restrepo, giving the Owls a 1-0 lead.

The Bulls nearly responded less than four minutes later when a shot from Bernardo Anor sailed wide left of the goal. That was the first of three shots on goal in the first half for the Bulls, who saw another opportunity missed in the 31st minute when senior Simon Schoendorf got a shot off but couldn’t get it through a tough FAU defense.

The goal that would tie the game indefinitely came just before the half on a set piece opportunity. After the Bulls won a free kick, Anor, a freshman. delivered a ball into the box that found Marshall’s head, bringing the match level at 1-1.

The second half would yield three shots on goal for the Bulls but none would find the back of the net. USF was out shot 7-3 in the second half. All in all, Restrepo made only four saves on the night but saw plenty of action deep in his half of the field.

The Bulls were again outshot in the first overtime as one shot sailed over the goal and another was fended off by the defensive line.

Toward the end of the first overtime, Bulls forward Jordan Seabrook got off a shot that flew wide right of the goal. It was the best chance of the first overtime period for the Bulls.

Each team managed to get a shot off in the second overtime. For Bulls’ freshman forward Tony Taylor, the shot went high and over the crossbar. On the other end, another save was required from Restrepo to keep the Bulls from falling to the Owls.

The tie brings the Bulls to the end of the most difficult stint in their schedule with a record of 1-1-2 for four consecutive road matches. They’re now 7-2-2 overall on the season.

“I was happy with the chances we created,” Kiefer said. “We were able to make things happen in overtime so I was happy with that. As long as we keep creating chances like we did tonight I think we’ll be alright.”