Volleyball looks to ‘Dig for the cure’

For the fourth year in a row, the USF volleyball team is supporting National Breast Cancer Awareness month by participating in the “Dig for the Cure” campaign.

The Bulls have selected their Oct. 23 match against North Florida as their “Dig for the Cure” game. Individual sponsors can pledge to donate a certain amount of money per dig earned by USF during the game, with all proceeds going directly to the Susan G. Komen Florida Suncoast Breast Foundation.

“‘Dig for the Cure’ is a great cause,” coach Claire Lessinger said. “It gives my team the opportunity to assist in finding a cure for breast cancer, a disease that affects women daily. Our players enjoy the extra incentive that rides on each dig they make.”

Since University of North Carolina at Charlotte coach Lisa Marston started the program in 2004, USF has raised $8,500 for the cause.

People wishing to make donations to the “Dig for the Cure” program can fill out pledge sheets at GoUSFBulls.com or any home volleyball match.

SOCCER PLAYER EARNS WEEKLY HONOR

USF soccer player Yohance Marshall was named to TopDrawerSoccer.com’s Team of the Week for the fifth week of the season.

Last weekend, the junior led a Bulls defense that allowed only one goal in two double-overtime matches, including a 1-0 shutout of No. 6 West Virginia on Sunday.

“Yohance has done an outstanding job of keeping the defense together,” coach George Kiefer said in a press release. “The line is gelling nicely.”

Marshall was also recognized in a Sept. 20 article for College Soccer News titled “Hard working team players.”

FOOTBALL TICKETS STILL AVAILABLE

Anticipating a large showing of Bulls’ fans at Saturday’s game against Florida Atlantic University, the USF athletic department has purchased an additional 800 tickets for the Bulls’ second road game of the season.

The tickets are general admission only and will be selling for $17 at the Sun Dome ticket office until noon Friday.

Student tickets for the Bulls’ Oct. 13 home game against UCF will become available Sunday at the Sun Dome ticket office.

Students can begin lining up at 2 p.m. and ticket distribution will take place from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Companion tickets will be available for $16 and will be limited to one per customer.