Bulls win first conference game of season

The USF women’s soccer team split its games over the weekend.

On Friday, the Bulls dropped a 1-0 heartbreaker to the Connecticut Huskies at home. On Sunday, USF traveled to Rhode Island to hand the Friars a 1-0 loss.

The Bulls played the first game on their home pitch since an Aug. 18 exhibition against the University of Tampa. USF hosted Big East foe Connecticut for its second Big East contest of the season. Despite taking six shots in the first half – including four by junior sensation Lindsay Brauer – the Bulls and Huskies battled to a draw after the first 45 minutes of the contest. Connecticut’s Meghan Schnur tallied the only score of the contest.

The Bulls managed to take 12 shots in the game, including six shots on goal. Brauer led the Bulls with two shots on goal, and four other Bulls recorded one shot on goal. Head coach Denise Schilte-Brown took away several positives from the loss.

“I feel like our team played very hard (Friday),” Schilte-Brown said. “I feel like the team competed very hard, and it was a very even game. We’re disappointed that we didn’t get the result that we wanted, but we feel like we earned some respect in the Big East.”

On Sunday, USF managed to turn things around at Glay Field. The Bulls and Friars were evenly matched in the first half. Providence sophomore Nicole Benko took a shot on goal just three minutes into the contest, but USF’s Mallori Lofton-Malachi made the save.

In the 55th minute of the contest, Brauer got an assist from senior Autumn Browning. Despite taking 12 shots, the Bulls managed only one goal. However, Brauer’s score proved to be all USF needed.

USF – which improved to 2-6-1 after Sunday’s victory – looks forward to a four-game home stand in which it plays four Big East games.

“I’m so happy to play at home,” Schilte-Brown said. “It will be nice to be on our home field, in front of our home crowd. I really feel like it’s going to be a breath of fresh air for the team.”