USF baseball hosts pair of events

With spring still a long way off, the coaching staff for the USF baseball team already has its mind on the upcoming season.

The staff will hold tryouts for the 2008 squad at Red McEwen Field on Monday, Oct. 8 at 6 p.m.

Coach Lelo Prado, who is entering his second season as head coach of the Bulls, is hosting the tryouts and will be looking for any USF student that feels he can bring something to the team next year.

“What we’re looking for is athletes and good arms,” Prado said. “If a kid has a great arm and can throw a little bit (we’ll take a look at him).”

According to Prado, it’s still too early to know how many potential roster spots are available for next year’s team, but the tryouts will give coaches a chance to check out any talented walk-ons.

“The tryouts will give (potential walk-ons) one day to show us what they’ve got, in case there is somebody that we could work with through the fall and try to help make the team,” Prado said.

Players wanting to try out must be enrolled as full-time students and will be required to pass a physical examination provided by USF Sports Medicine. The deadline to sign up is Friday, Oct. 5.

Four days after holding tryouts for the 2008 team, the Bulls’ coaching staff will be at Red McEwen field again to host a pitcher-catcher camp.

The camp will provide aspiring pitchers the chance to learn from USF pitching coach Lazer Collazo, whose top five players from the 2007 season posted a combined 3.81 ERA and held opposing batters to a .257 average.

Collazo also played a pivotal role in the development of former Bulls’ pitcher Danny Otero, who was drafted by the San Francisco Giants in this year’s Major League Baseball draft and has recently earned All-Star honors pitching for Minor League Baseball’s Northwest League.

The camp will be for players 13 to 18 and will cost $60 per person. It will be held Friday, Oct. 12, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.