Football team earns first ranking

Apparently the ranking committees in college football do care about USF football.

Immediately following the Bulls’ 26-23 overtime victory at then-ranked No. 17 Auburn, quarterback Matt Grothe said: “I don’t think the coaches’ poll gives a rat’s a– about us, and I don’t think we will be ranked.”

During the Bulls’ bye week, the team has been recognized as a top-25 team in the nation by both the Associated Press (No. 23) and USA Today coaches’ poll (No. 24).

“It is nice and we certainly appreciate the ranking,” coach Jim Leavitt said. “But we have put all of our focus on North Carolina and that game this weekend.”

With USF’s next two home games slated to be on national television, the Bulls have

garnered more recognition across the country in 2007 than any of their previous 11 seasons.

The Bulls have been a part of the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision for only seven seasons, and their ranking marks the second fastest in NCAA history.

USF received 285 votes in the AP poll and 165 votes in the coaches’ poll Sunday.

North Carolina visits Raymond James Stadium on Saturday at noon on ESPN2 and the Bulls’ Big East opener against West Virginia is showcased on ESPN Sept. 28.

Including USF, there are four teams in the Big East included in the week 4 rankings: No. 5 West Virginia, No. 11 Rutgers and No. 18 Louisville.