Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

USF splits road trip

The USF women’s soccer team had a weekend of mixed emotions during a road trip to the Southern Florida.

On Friday, the Bulls won 3-2 over the University of Miami. On Sunday, USF suffered a 1-0 defeat at the hands of the Florida Atlantic University Owls.

The Bulls secured their first win of the season Friday. However, the Bulls’ win did not come easily. The team fell behind in the 41st minute of the contest as Miami striker Brittney Steinbruch put the Hurricanes up 1-0. However – less than one minute later – senior Autumn Browning headed a shot in for USF’s first goal of the season.

The Bulls faced adversity again when sophomore goalkeeper Mallori Lofton-Malachi suffered cramps just a minute later. Then, after only four minutes of relief duty, freshman Melissa Biber suffered an injury. Freshman defender Pasquale Anderson had to finish the first half as goalkeeper for the Bulls. Coach Denise Schilte-Brown was impressed by the way her team handled hardship on the road.

“There’s a lot of heart on this team,” Schilte-Brown said in a press release. “They play for each other and I’m really proud of them.”

Browning would score another goal in the 83rd minute of the game to put the Bulls up 2-1, and junior Lindsay Brauer would add a third score in the 88th minute to seal USF’s first victory of the season.

“I’m really proud of the girls to keep their head (despite) a lot of adversity,” Schilte-Brown said in a press release. “Mallori and a lot of other players really fought through some painful bumps, bruises and injuries to get our result.”

On Sunday, the Bulls dropped their game 1-0 to the FAU Owls. The loss dropped USF’s record to 1-3-1 for the season.

The Bulls were held in check on offense the entire game. The contest was a defensive battle from the opening whistle. During the first half of the contest, the two teams combined to take only three shots.

Freshman forward Lisa Bjorkvik took a shot that bounced off of FAU’s right goal post. The shot would be the only shot on goal for the Bulls in the second half of the game.

The match looked as if it would head to overtime with the score tied at 0-0. However, FAU senior Susanna Lehtinen scored her second goal of the season with just three minutes left in regulation play.