Potter-mania hits the bay area

Harry Potter fans knew this day would come. With the impending release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the Potter saga will be complete. However, fans of the series shouldn’t fret. This is a cause for celebration, and for the enthusiastic Potter aficionado, there is certainly no shortage of events being held in Tampa in honor of our favorite spectacled wizard.

Here are a few:

Inkwood Books, located on 216 S. Armenia Ave., will be celebrating the last installment in the Harry Potter book series on Friday, July 20. The bookstore’s “Potter Prognosticators” party will begin at 11:30 p.m. A staff member will read a selection of the book and a discussion will follow. Each prepaid copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will include a coupon good for $7.21 off your next purchase.

Refreshments will be served. For more information, call (813) 253-2638 or visit Inkwoodbooks.com.

The South Tampa Barnes & Noble will host “Midnight Magic” on Friday, July 20 at 7 p.m. Located at 213 N. Dale Mabry Ave., the store will host a Harry Potter costume contest, and there will be a Harry Potter standee to take photos with fans. There will also be a magic potion demonstration.

For more information, call (813) 871-2228. Borders stores throughout the Bay area will also be hosting a Potter party on Friday, July 20 to commemorate the book’s release.

That evening, the Grand Hallow Ball gives Potter fans the chance to dress in ball attire or as their favorite character. In addition to a costume contest, guests can compete in a number of activities, including the Potter Spelling Bee and the Great Snape Debate. Then, at the stroke of midnight, they can pick up their pre-reserved copies of the final novel, along with a free limited-edition poster.