Top USF recruit arrested

USF freshman running back Mike Ford was arrested on a contempt of court charge early Friday morning in his hometown of Sarasota. Ford, who was released Saturday morning after posting $2,000 bail, had an outstanding warrant for receiving three citations over the past 16 months and then failing to show for a June 12 court appearance. Ford received the initial citations on March 31, 2006 and Feb. 23, 2007 for driving without a license.

Additionally, on May 29, 2007 Ford was cited for driving with a suspended license and driving an unregistered motor vehicle. Ford is the second USF football player to be arrested this off-season, following quarterback Matt Grothe’s April arrest for selling alcohol to a minor. Ford is the highest-rated recruit in USF history and is expected to play a major role in USF’s offense this season.

No more “war on I-4”?

The short-lived rivalry between USF and UCF might be coming to an end. As part of the exit agreement USF made when it moved from C-USA to the Big East in 2004, USF was required to play at least one C-USA team every year until 2009. However, Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky said it is “doubtful” that USF will be required to play a Conference USA team in 2009, meaning that the series between USF and UCF will likely end after the 2008 match-up. The Bulls have played the Golden Knights each of the last two seasons, defeating them 31-14 in 2005 and 24-17 last season. While USF seems to be concentrating on increasing its national exposure by securing series against BCS programs like Miami and Michigan State, Florida senator and Central Florida graduate Lee Constantine has insisted that the rivalry between USF and UCF continue to be encouraged. “I don’t want to get involved, but USF better darn sure play this game,” Constantine said in an interview with the Orlando Sentinel. “It’s ridiculous for them not to play this game. Florida-Florida State needed a nudge from the Legislature to get their series going, so maybe we need to give USF a nudge, too.”

Former Bull helps lead U.S. past Brazil Former USF mid-fielder Anthony Wallace and the U-20 U.S. team defeated Brazil 2-1 Friday, advancing to the Round of 16 in the 2007 U-20 World Cup. Wallace, who played 19 games for the Bulls last season, has started the last two games of the U-20 World Cup at fullback for the U.S. team. Wallace had an assist in the squad’s 6-1 victory over Poland on July 3 and played a key role on defense in the U.S. team’s win over Brazil, which marked the first time an American team had defeated the Brazilians since the U-17 World Cup in 1989. The U.S. team’s first match in the Round of 16 will take place in Toronto on July 11. The team’s opponent is still to be determined.