WOMEN’S BASKETBALL GAME TIME

When: Tonight, 7Where: John Paul Jones ArenaTV/Radio: None, 860 AM

The women’s basketball team looks to avoid having its season end in Virginia for the second season in a row and the third time in four years.

After falling to Southern California in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament in Norfolk a year ago, the Bulls travel to Charlottesville to battle the Virginia Cavaliers in the third round of the Women’s National Invitational Tournament.

Three seasons ago, the Bulls saw their season come to an end when they fell to Richmond 63-55 in the opening round of the WNIT. The Bulls are 4-6 on the road this season and have dropped four of their last five contests away from Tampa.

The Bulls advanced after holding off Coppin State 66-49 at home on Tuesday; USF must win its first postseason game away from the Sun Dome to advance to the quarterfinals of the WNIT.

Seniors Jessica Dickson and Nalini Miller led the way against the Eagles on both ends of the floor. Dickson carried the Bulls offensively with 24 points and eight rebounds while Miller recorded a career-high nine blocks. The Bulls set a team record with 16 in the game.

Virginia advanced after defeating Charlotte 74-72 behind the last second heroics of Lyndra Littles. The sophomore’s jumper with nine seconds left lifted the Cavaliers to their 18th victory of the season.

Four starters finished the game in double figures for Virginia.

Although USF and the Cavaliers have never played each other, the two teams have three mutual opponents this season: Connecticut, Marquette and Seton Hall. The Bulls went 2-3 (playing Connecticut and Seton Hall twice) while Virginia went 2-1 with its lone loss coming against the Huskies.

Keep an eye on: Virginia guard Monica Wright. The freshman was unanimously named Atlantic Coast Conference Rookie of the Year after averaging 15.4 points, 6.2 rebounds and a team-high 2.4 steals per game. Wright finished the contest against Charlotte with 16 points and seven rebounds.