The British are coming

America is seeing another British invasion.No, George and John didn’t come back from the dead. Nor did the Spice Girls – by even a bigger miracle – get back together. There is a whole new wave of English influence in American pop culture.

It starts with David and Victoria Beckham, England’s “it” couple. David, who is considered one of the most famous soccer players in the world, he will play for the L.A. Galaxy, where he signed a five-year contract for $250 million. Such a famous name playing in America not only means big bucks for him and Major League Soccer, but also a whole new interest in the sport. The first week after the deal was made, the Galaxy sold 5,000 tickets.

Victoria, formerly known as “Posh Spice” of the Spice Girls, is also making her mark in the United States. She signed a deal with NBC for a six-episode reality show outlining her move to the country, which will be produced by American Idol’s Simon Fuller.

“For the past few years, I’ve been inundated with requests to make a show based on Victoria’s real life. After much thought, we have finally decided to do it,” Fuller told Variety magazine.

Not only is America stealing England’s athletes, but also its television plots. ABC has various pilots based on successful British shows in the works. Football Wives, based on the British show Footballer’s Wives, will be about American football players’ wives. Bring it On’s Gabrielle Union and Xena: Warrior Princess’ Lucy Lawless have been cast in the show. David E. Kelley is writing and producing the American version of Life On Mars, which is about a cop who is transported back to the ’70s.

Meanwhile, Christopher Guest is slated to direct the pilot of another adapted show, The Thick of It. Though the original British version is a satirical comedy about an incompetent government minister and his staff, the Americanized version will be about a member of Congress and his staff.

These shows could become hits like The Office or get kicked back across the pond like Coupling.

American music has also been invaded by the English. Three of the five Best New Artist nominees for the Grammys this year were British: James Blunt, Corinne Bailey Rae and Imogen Heap.

“British music provides an alternative to the urban music that has dominated American radio for the last 10 to 12 years now,” Phil Patterson told the New York Daily News.

This invasion could be due to how easy it is to promote music in the age of the Internet. Like countless other artists, British pop star Lily Allen has a MySpace account with video, music and pictures, and a resulting 192,280 friends. She even has a blog chronicling her rivalry with fellow Brit artist Lady Sovereign that would make Lindsay Lohan and Hilary Duff envious.The British are here and probably looking to stay for a while – as long as they can make a pound or two.