Softball team fails to hold on for tourney win

The roller coaster that was opening weekend for the women’s softball team came to an abrupt end at the Best Western Tournament. After winning three out of four on Friday and Saturday, USF couldn’t hold a lead in the championship game falling 4-3 to Western Kentucky.

USF (3-2) scored three runs in the first inning, but was unable to score more runs from that point on. Western Kentucky starter Ryan Rogge went seven innings allowing three runs on five hits with six strikeouts. Rogge held the Bulls scoreless after the rocky first inning.

Western Kentucky scored runs in the third, fourth and fifth innings to take a 4-3 lead. USF threatened with a rally in the sixth inning, putting runners at first and second with one out, but Rogge got a fly out and strikeout to end the Bulls’ comeback chance.

Bree Spence started the championship game, but only went three innings allowing two runs on five hits. Courtney Mosch didn’t fare much better, allowing two runs on two hits in 1 1/3 innings pitched. Kristen Gordon pitched 2 2/3 innings of shutout relief with one strikeout.

USF split the two contests against Western Kentucky over the weekend, recording a 1-0 victory in seven innings on Friday. Senior first baseman Danielle Urbanik hit a solo home run in the top of the seventh to give the Bulls the win.

After going 2-for-3 in the first game, Urbanik supplied the power for the Bulls against Arkansas. With the Razorbacks leading 6-1 in the fourth inning, Urbanik crushed a grand slam to pull the Bulls to within 6-5. USF had an opportunity to tie the game in the bottom of the sixth inning with runners on second and third, but again couldn’t get a hit to drive the runners in.

USF got some revenge on the Razorbacks in Saturday’s contest with a 2-1 victory in seven innings. With the score tied 1-1 in the bottom of the seventh inning, freshman third baseman Alison Savarese hit her first collegiate home run to end the game.

The Bulls also defeated Virginia 4-2 behind 5 1/3 innings from Cristi Ecks, who finished the weekend with a 2-0 record.USF head coach Ken Eriksen was unable to be reached by phone for comment after Sunday’s game.