The class that keeps on teaching

While becoming fit in 2007 was probably on your list of New Year’s resolutions, getting other students in shape probably wasn’t. But with the G-FIT (Group Fitness Instructor Training) program, working out with others could become part of a new plan.

Krystal Vias, Group Fitness Coordinator for Campus Recreation, explained the nine-week course, beginning with “basic exercise physiology, anatomy and nutrition.”

Vias has a bachelor’s degree in exercise science from USF and is a nationally certified aerobics instructor who started her group fitness career at USF in a similar program. Several years later, she now teaches the two-month G-FIT course.

“In the later weeks of the program, students will then learn various ways to organize classes and teaching skills, like cueing and safety,” Vias said.

The students will be paired with Campus Recreation fitness instructors that focus on their various class types. Students can instruct classes such as spin, yoga and kickboxing. Participants will get to team-teach actual classes at USF.

There is a final exam at the conclusion of the course. There are different exams for each class, Vias said. A potential instructor interested in teaching yoga would take a different exam than one wanting to teach kickboxing. The certification obtained by completing the course gives students the ability to group instruct classes at USF and around the United States.

“Certifications endorsed by G-FIT and accepted at our own facility are nationally recognized,” Vias said.

The cost of certification ranges from $100-$200, though the price varies depending on the type of fitness class the student wishes to instruct. The G-FIT course costs $50.

“G-FIT does not guarantee participants a job at USF,” Vias said. “G-FIT will provide them with the basic tools, teaching and class design skills and actual teaching experience.”

According to Vias, students interested in the course need dedication, perseverance and time. According to Campus Recreation’s Web site, www.usf.edu/campusrec, the program starts on Feb. 6. The class meets Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2-4 p.m. Students must register and attend one of two remaining information sessions on Jan. 25 at 6:45 p.m. or Jan. 29 at 3:30 p.m.

Interested students who can’t fit the class into their schedule this semester shouldn’t fret, though.

“G-FIT will be held every fall and spring semester from now on,” Vias said.