‘Tis the season to be working

The holidays are coming up, and for many students, that means a dangerously shrinking bank account. However, there are many jobs available during the holiday season, and getting one can help bring up that low balance.

According to a survey conducted by Careerbuilder.com between Aug. 31 and Sept. 5, 23 percent of managers said they are recruiting for holiday positions this year.

The managers surveyed were from multiple industries, according to Laura Morsche, career advisor for CBCampus.com, Careerbuilder.com’s college division.

“It’s pretty much all across the board … we try to get a very very wide range to get a more broad perspective,” Morsche said.

The survey found five hiring hot spots. One was in office support, in which students would temporarily help in offices where workers are off for the holidays. Another opportunity is in retail, which has available positions such as sales clerks and stockers. Delivery services are looking for students to deliver holiday packages. Customer service departments need help handling holiday gift orders and returns. Finally, the hospitality industry, which includes restaurants and hotels, hires more help to handle increased demand during the holidays.

Senior psychology major Diannys Del Toro isn’t new to working seasonal jobs. She has been working seasonally at Walt Disney World since the summer of 2005.

For Del Toro, working seasonally has its benefits because she determines her own work schedule. Another benefit is the money. Del Toro also said that at Disney, managers host holiday celebrations for their employees.

This holiday break, Del Toro will be working one or two days a week as a merchandise hostess.

“During the holidays, there is a lot of money that you spend on gifts for your family … it’s always good to have some extra money,” she said.

Morsche agrees the extra spending money holiday jobs offer is a huge incentive.

“You’ll be able to buy presents for your loved ones, and frankly, if you’re just sitting around all day for the entire three weeks that you’re off of school, you’re going to get bored anyway,” Morsche said. “So it’s something to do – you make a little extra money, you’ll be able to get a little experience for your resume … overall it’s a pretty good choice.”

There are certain qualities that employers look for in seasonal candidates, and flexibility is one of them, according to Morsche.

“They don’t want employees who are going to complain about working any hour that falls out of that nine to five time frame,” she said. “So make sure that you’re available towards those late nights.”

Holiday jobs may seem unimportant to most, but to Del Toro, they continue to play an important role.

“You’re working with people that can help you in the future … and can write you a letter of recommendation for an internship and another job,” she said. “It’s something that you can rely on eventually.”