Event raises money for abuse prevention

Excitement seeped from the Sun Dome last night as the lower bowl was full of students from various Greek organizations.

Approximately 600 chairs filled the floor as onlookers watched performers in elaborate costumes, supporters chanted in the stands and rap music blasted from speakers at the 17th annual “Putting on the Hits” presented by Sigma Delta Tau.

“This year we opened up the field to all student organizations,” said Brittany Link, philanthropy chair of Sigma Delta Tau. “It used to just be a Greek event. This year we were proud to have teams from the multicultural councils as well, however we did not have any organizations that got signed up in time this year, but it is open to all student organizations.”

“Putting on the Hits” is a lip sync contest to benefit the National Association for the Prevention of Child Abuse (NAPCA). This is one of the largest annual Greek events on campus.

“We’re raising money with pocket change, T-shirt sales, attendance … there’s also auctions and raffles,” said Vanelis Vazquez, president of Sigma Delta Tau.

The event has moved from the Student Events Center to the Sun Dome, due to the construction of the new student union. Each Sigma Delta Tau chapter is responsible for raising money for the NAPCA, contributing approximately $50,000 annually.

“Last year we raised over $8,500 and so we’ll see how much we raise this year, but it’s been an awesome event so far,” Link said. “The goal for the amount to raise this year was $15,000, but we won’t know till then end of the night if we made it.”

Seventeen Greek organizations participated in various levels of intricately choreographed dance performances.

“We’ve been preparing for about two weeks now,” said Sam Lott, a Phi Delta Theta sophomore majoring in communications and public relations.

“This is our third year,” said Alan Houze, a Phi Delta Theta sophomore majoring in business. “It’s fun and it’s competition. We’re here to raise as much money as we can for their philanthropy.”

There is a sorority first-place, second-place and third-place prize along with a fraternity first, second and third prize. The winners receive a trophy and bragging rights among the organizations.

“We’ve been working for almost two months now on our dances so I hope we win,” said Britney Lamkin, a Zeta Tau Alpha sophomore majoring in communications and public relations. I absolutely love it, everyone looks forward to it every year; everyone gets ready. It’s like a really, really, really big deal, so I get really excited.”

The night started with an opening act by Sigma Delta Tau as they performed a ballet/modern dance interpretation of “Move Your Body.” Kappa Sigma was the first performance, giving a comedic performance of “Men in Tights” with the participants dressed in white bandanas, white button-down shirts and black pantyhose. An intricate routine was given by Alpha Delta Pi as they performed in burlesque costumes to “Don’t Tell Mama,” “Ain’t No Other Man” and “Showstoppa’.” Sigma Phi Epsilon concluded the performances.

“They’re performing, not competing,” said Lindsey Herrup, a Sigma Delta Tau junior majoring in photography. “It’s the biggest thing that a Greek event puts on all year and we’re really proud to say that it’s ours so it’s very exciting.”

The night’s winners included Alpha Delta Pi for the sorority category, Sigma Chi for the fraternaties. The event raised $15,026.38 prior to the post-party held at the Tampa Brickyard. All the proceeds will go to Prevent Child Abuse America.