USF, women’s soccer coach part ways

Coach Logan Fleck’s 17-year tenure at USF has come to an end.

The Athletic Department announced Monday that the women’s soccer coach will not have his contract renewed for next season.

After he signed a one-year deal before the beginning of this season, the women’s soccer team finished with a disappointing 6-10-1 overall record.

In two seasons of Big East play, the Bulls have compiled a 6-14-2 record against conference foes.

“I think it would take anyone three years to be successful in the Big East,” Fleck said. “If you take a look at my track record after three years we ran the table in Conference USA.”

Fleck was the assistant men’s soccer assistant coach for three years, before being named the head coach in 1994. During his three seasons as head coach, Fleck compiled an overall record of 34-17 with one Conference USA Championship and an NCAA Tournament appearance.

Starting in 1995, he served as head coach for both the men’s and women’s soccer programs at USF. In his first year as women’s varsity coach, he led the Bulls to an 11-3 record.

The next year the program joined NCAA Division 1 competition.

Fleck left the men’s team after the 1996 season, focusing solely on the women’s team. His best season as women’s head coach was in 1998 when USF won its first Conference USA championship.

Fleck hasn’t had a winning season since 1999, when USF went 11-8. The Bulls have not made an NCAA Tournament appearance during his career as women’s soccer coach.

“We decided our women’s soccer program needed new direction,” Athletic Director Doug Woolard said. “We are confident the position will draw interest from a deep pool of talented coaches and we look forward to finding the very best candidate possible. Our national search will begin immediately.”

Forward Lindsay Brauer understood the decision not to bring back Fleck.

“I just feel confident in what the Athletic Department is doing,” Brauer said. “College athletics is all about winning, so they’re doing what’s necessary to get to the next level.”

Fleck was disappointed with the decision but showed no bitterness toward the school.

“I love USF … had many opportunities to leave the University and cherish the 17 years I had at the school.” Fleck said. “The thing I’ll miss the most is the student-athletes. They’re the reason why I do what I do.”