Volleyball Game Time

Villanova (11-11, 4-3) at USF (9-10, 4-2)When: Tonight, 7Where: The Corral

The story: The volleyball team returns home after a two-week road trip to host Big East rivals Villanova and Rutgers. USF is coming off back-to-back victories over Georgetown and North Florida. The victory moved the Bulls into sixth place in the Big East.

Villanova is led by outside hitter Alona Cherkez. She leads the Wildcats with 313 kills and is third on the team with 17 service aces. Villanova has won five of its past seven games and is coming off a 3-0 victory over Rutgers. USF is 5-4 at home, while the Wildcats are 3-5 on the road.

Rutgers is led by senior Lora Yankauskas. The pre-season Big East team outside hitter has lived up to the billing, leading the Scarlet Knights in virtually every statistic: kills (254), sets (22) service aces (18), blocked shots (10) and points scored (295). Rutgers has struggled as of late, dropping 10 of its last 12 matches, including three straight against conference opponents.

Sunday’s match against Rutgers will be the “Dig for Cure” match for USF. Sponsors have pledged to donate money for every dig the Bulls record. The money the Bulls raise will go directly to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Keep an eye on: Marcela Gurgel. The freshman has continued her tremendous season and has recorded a Big East-leading 41 service aces and is second in the conference with 334 kills.