Volleyball on hot streak, beats Georgetown

The Bulls ended their longest road trip of the season Saturday the same way they began it a week ago against West Virginia on Oct. 7: with a win.

USF knocked off Georgetown 3-2 at the McDonough Arena in Washington, D.C., to cap off its most successful road trip of the season, going 3-1. The Bulls will return home on a two-game winning streak, having won five of their last seven games.

USF (9-10, 4-2) played its most complete game of the season, with four players tallying double-digit kill totals – junior Kristina Fabris led the way with 21 – and five players tallying double-digit dig totals.

Senior Johari Williams had a team-high .391 hitting percentage, and senior Juliana Nogueira scored 63 of the team’s 68 assists.

“I was really pleased tonight,” coach Claire Lessinger said. “I felt like there was great distribution and great contribution from everyone. Even the opposing coach told me after the game how impressed she was with what we did against them tonight.”

USF started on the wrong foot, losing the first match 30-21. But the Bulls rallied and took Game 2 on a series of three- and four-point runs that allowed for a 30-21 game victory to even the match.

The teams exchanged close decisions, with the Bulls taking Game 3 and the Hoyas (6-13, 0-6) winning Game 4. In the fifth game, the Bulls jumped out to a 3-0 lead and held on for the 15-11 win.

The Bulls improved their conference record to 4-2 and are just two games behind St. John’s (21-1, 6-0), which they play Oct. 29. The Bulls will host Villanova and Rutgers on Oct. 20 and 22, respectively. Lessinger said both games will prove to be very important leading up to the match against St. John’s.

“I am not thinking about anyone else except Villanova on Friday,” Lessinger said. “Every team, including ourselves, in this conference is beatable on any given night. We have to focus on our side of the net in practice and get ready to play Villanova. I don’t take any team in this conference lightly.”