Leavitt: Special teams needs work

Coach Jim Leavitt always says there is room for improvement. Whether the team has a 4-2 record or is undefeated, Leavitt will always say his team needs to work on something. At Tuesday’s media luncheon, Leavitt named two specific areas: kickoffs and kickoff returns.

“We’ve got a lot of work with those two groups,” Leavitt said. “We’ve been disappointed with those two groups.”

The Bulls are ranked 65th in NCAA in kickoff returns, averaging 20.07 yards per return and 89th in kickoff return defense, allowing 22.13 yards a game.

High praise: During North Carolina coach John Bunting’s teleconference Tuesday, the sixth-year coach said he was impressed with the way USF can spread out its offense during a game.

“We’ll be playing what I like to call a team that plays hockey on grass,” Bunting said. “(The players are) all over the place; they’ll spread you out, and if you break down, they’ll work you.”

Leavitt said the comment was a “tribute” to how his teams plays.

This and that: Quarterback Matt Grothe was held out of practice for the second straight day with a boot on his right foot. The redshirt quarterback said Tuesday he hoped to get the boot off today and return to practice. Leavitt added he wants to be “real sure he’s OK” before Grothe returns to practice.