Young guns square off

USF (3-0) at Kansas (2-1)When: Sat., 7 p.m. ESTWhere: Memorial StadiumTV/Radio: FSN, 970 AM

Freshman Quarterback in Total Offense

Matt Grothe (USF), 45-for-72, 647 yards, 6 TD

Matt Grothe leads the Bulls in rushing with 213 yards on 47 carries.

vs.

Kerry Meier (Kansas), 44-for-81, 544 yards, 3 TD

Kerry Meier may not be the Jayhawks’ leading rusher, but still has 186 rushing yards.

The comparison:

The top freshman quarterback in total offense and the fellow freshman right behind him face each other Saturday. Matt Grothe and Kerry Meier won the starting jobs over seniors, and they now rank 30th and 52nd in total passing yards, respectively. Grothe had his best game to date against UCF: 302 passing yards and three touchdown passes. Meier, who is listed as day-to-day according to the Wichita Eagle, threw for 243 yards and two touchdowns in the loss to Toledo.

CB – Trae Williams, Jr. (USF), 5-10, 185

vs.

LB – Mike Rivera, So. (Kansas), 6-3, 250

Trae Williams and Mike Rivera may play different positions, but they have one thing in common: They both will be preying on the strengths of the two quarterbacks. Williams has four interceptions, which is tied for the most in college football. Rivera, on the other hand, leads the Jayhawks in tackles (26) and has three pass breakups. Grothe has been running numerous quarterback draws in the past two games, which means Rivera will most likely be the one stopping him. Williams will be on guard for the many pass attempts by Meier.

Game notes:

Coach Jim Leavitt said Thursday that tackle Thed Watson will travel with the team, but will be a game-time decision with an injury to his left foot. … Saturday’s low temperature will be 48 degrees, an extreme drop from 86, 84 and 92, which were game-time temperatures for the Bulls first three games.