Leavitt undecided on starting left guard

With starting left guard Jake Griffin out “a while” with a broken left foot, coach Jim Leavitt is exploring his options to replace the sophomore.

He says he has some candidates for Saturday’s game at Kansas.

Leavitt said redshirt freshman Danny Tolley, who is the backup right guard to Walt Walker and also started at right tackle in the FIU game, could take Griffin’s place.

But sophomore Matt Huners, who is listed on the depth chart as the backup left guard, will probably see playing time, Leavitt said.

Lineman update: Leavitt said right tackle Thed Watson is “working very hard” and “trying to get (healthy)” for Saturday’s game. Watson was a late scratch against UCF with an injury to his left foot and sat out the game against FIU with a boot on his foot.

D-Line polka: In last Saturday’s 24-17 win against UCF, the Bulls used a total of nine different defensive linemen: Woody George, George Selvie, Richard Clebert and Allen Cray – who all made starts – while Jarriett Buie, Treco Bellamy, Julian Riley, Siaosi Uhatafe and Chris Robinson came in during the game.

Clebert said Saturday that many of the players, himself included, are suffering groin injuries. Leavitt did not confirm any serious injuries, but he said the players were swapped frequently to keep them fresh. Leavitt added he will continue to do so for the rest of the season.

“It was so hot,” Leavitt said. “We play more guys on defensive line because they can get hot and run out of gas.”

This and that: Leavitt said he was pleased with Wednesday’s practice, especially since it was not rained out. … Captains for this Saturday’s game will be the same as the past three games: linebackers Stephen Nicholas and Pat St. Louis, quarterback Pat Julmiste and receiver S.J. Green.