Enginneering dean leaving for NC State

The College of Engineering will be losing its dean of nearly five years to North Carolina State University at the end of the summer.

Dean Louis Martin-Vega will start his position as dean of NC State’s College of Engineering Aug. 7. He first took his dean post at USF in September 2001. No interim dean has been named as of yet. Martin-Vega is out of town and could not be reached for comment.

He leaves USF’s College of Engineering – which had 3,286 students (2,609 undergraduate students and 677 graduate students) in the 2005-2006 academic year – for NC State’s College Engineering, which has more than double the number of students at 6,692 (5,000 undergraduate students and 1,692 graduate).

NC State, at 28,533 total students, has fewer students overall than USF, which has 41,509 students.

NC State is located in Raleigh, NC and competes in the Atlantic Coast Conference for athletics.

The Wolfpack beat USF in the Bulls’ first ever bowl game appearance this past season, winning the 2005-2006 Meineke Car Care Bowl 14-0.

Martin-Vega led the College of Engineering through the bulk of the controversy surrounding former computer engineering professor Sami Al-Arian. Al-Arian was dismissed from USF after he appeared on The O’Reilly Factor television show soon after the Sept. 11 tragedy and was alleged on air to have terrorist ties. Letters from both President Judy Genshaft and then-Provost S. David Stamps addressed to faculty noted that Martin-Vega did not want Al-Arian to return to his teaching post in spring 2002 fearing the disruption his presence would cause.

– Staff Report