USF adidas Invitational

USF adidas INVITATIONAL

USF (11-11), Michigan St. (9-3), Georgia Tech (17-4), Wright St. (0-9), Long Island (3-7), Boston University (3-6)

When: Today-Sunday

Where: E.C. Moore Complex

The story: The USF softball team travels to Clearwater today for the first day of the USF adidas Invitational. The tournament is the fifth of the season for the Bulls and will feature games against Boston University, Georgia Tech, Michigan State, Wright State and Long Island University.Day one of the tournament features a doubleheader for the Bulls as they take on Boston University (3-6) at 4 p.m. and Georgia Tech (17-4) at 6 p.m.

In the second game USF will face a hot team in the Yellow Jackets, who are carrying an 11-game winning streak into the tournament and feature three players batting over .400.The Bulls (11-11) will be looking to regain a winning record for the season after losing four of five games and dropping to .500 during last weekend’s University of Arizona Invitational in Tuscon.On Friday, the Bulls will face off against the Michigan State Spartans (9-3) at 4 p.m. and the Wright State Raiders (0-9) at 6 p.m.

While Wright State is still searching for its first win of the season, the Spartans are on a roll. Michigan State will enter the tournament on a five-game winning streak during which the Spartans have outscored their opponents 25-8.

After facing Long Island University (3-7) on Saturday at 1 p.m., the Bulls will play additional games on Saturday and Sunday with the opponents still to be determined.

Keep an eye on: Georgia Tech freshman first-baseman Whitney Haller. The first-year Yellow Jacket is leading her team in batting average (.449), hits (31), RBI (29) and home runs (8) this season.

– Eric Moeller