Softball splits at adidas

The USF softball team ended a three-game losing streak after defeating Boston University 11-0 on the first day of the USF adidas Invitational on Thursday, but went on to lose 7-6 to Georgia Tech in the second game of the doubleheader.

“You know, I would be a little happier if we were 13-11 right now instead of 12-12,” coach Ken Eriksen said. “But you know, we’re close. We’re really close.”

The Bulls have been struggling offensively, scoring only four times in their past three games, but seemed to find a rhythm as they scored 11 runs in the first five innings against the Terriers to earn a mercy-rule victory.

USF’s strong bats carried over into the Georgia Tech game as well, but four costly fielding errors allowed the Yellow Jackets to grab an early lead and hold on for the win.

“Well, we scored 17 runs in two ballgames,” Eriksen said. “I think we would’ve been 2-0 if we could have caught the ball better. If we can keep the other team down around two or three runs, we have an opportunity to win, but we can’t give them extra base runners and extra hitters and expect to stay in a ballgame at this level.”

Senior Tiffany Stewart had a solid performance Thursday with three hits and five RBI against Boston and another two RBI against Georgia Tech.

The Bulls’ right fielder felt that despite losing a close one to the Yellow Jackets, the first day of the tournament was a successful opportunity to rebound from a mediocre showing at the University of Arizona Tournament last weekend.

“I actually felt pretty good,” Stewart said. “We had a rough weekend in Arizona, and even though we were 1-1(today), I think we came out and did a lot of positive things, and it was really a good way to bounce back.”

The Bulls will return to the field today to face Michigan State and Wright State. The USF adidas Invitational will continue throughout the weekend, with the championship game scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Sunday.