Another day, another twist in SG controversy

Student Government senators are still in disagreement over a proposed $30,000 allocation to fund a concert during Greek Week.

SG Attorney General Daniel Miller filed a request with the SG supreme court on Thursday for an injunction to freeze the funds.

He said the senate did not follow proper procedure when it accepted an absentee ballot Tuesday night that resulted in allowing the senate to revisit the concert issue and ultimately approve the allocation with a vote of 24 yeas, 17 nays and 2 abstentions.

The senate originally shot down the allocation Jan. 24 with a vote of 17 nays, 16 yeas, and 3 abstentions.

At the next senate meeting, senate President Pro Tempore Jeremiah Pederson motioned for the senate to take another vote on the issue. His motion passed by exactly the two-thirds majority necessary, including one yea vote in the form of an absentee ballot from senator Umer Ahmed.

The senate then decided to approve the $30,000 allocation with a vote of 24 yeas, 17 nays and 2 abstentions.

According to Miller, absentee ballots are prohibited, thus nullifying the vote that allowed the senate to approve the allocation.

Senate President Frank Harrison could not be reached for comment last night.

Student body President Maxon Victor said he was unaware that the request had been filed and chose not to comment until he gathered more information.

SG Director David Armstrong is ready for the concert situation as a whole to be over.

“They need to figure it out and be done with it one way or the other,” Armstrong said. “The longer this drags on, the worse it’s going to be.”