Exorcising the Blue Demons

The USF men’s soccer team handled another Big East rival like it had all the ones before the loss to Syracuse on Sunday: By outplaying them on offense.

Forward Simon Schoendorf scored two goals and freshman forward Jordan Seabrook added another as the Bulls (7-4-0, 6-1-0 Big East) overcame a 1-0 deficit to defeat the Blue Demons (3-6-2, 1-4-1 Big East).

Schoendorf believes that the team has matured as a unit and that resulted in the Bulls getting a victory.

“We’ve developed as a team, and we’ve all stuck together,” Schoendorf said. “We focused on our game and played very well. If we play our game we automatically get chances, and that’s how we got back in the game.”

The Blue Demons drew first blood with a goal by midfielder Anthony Minniti at 15:52 into the game. Minniti scored on a rebound after Dane Brenner lost control of the first shot by forward Luke Rojo.

“These guys were well coached,” Seabrook said. “They did a good job playing they type of game they needed to play. They also made it real tough for us to get past them (on offense).”

The Bulls charged onto the field in the second half and scored within the first 10 minutes with a tip shot from Schoendorf. Midfielder Brian Gil and forward Rodrigo Hidalgo both had an assist on the play.

Schoendorf scored the game-winning goal as a penalty shot at 77:31 in the game, and the Bulls never looked back.

Seabrook sealed the game with a breakaway goal with 1:40 left in the game. Seabroook streaked past the other defenders and lifted the ball past Blue Demons’ keeper Brian Visser to put the icing on the win.

The rookie now has eight goals on the season, the team lead.

Coach George Kiefer was proud of his team’s come-from-behind performance in the night game.

“I think the guys did very well coming from behind, and they stayed very positive with each other and created a lot of chances,” said Kiefer. “They played good stuff tonight.”

Seabrook has confidence that the team can continue their success as well as having the upper hand in the rest of their Big East games.

“I think that we have the ability and the players to definitely defeat all the teams we’re playing in the future,” Seabroook said. “We got some tough games coming up, but we’re a very good team, one of the best there are around. I think when we really play together and we keep our heads up like we did tonight, we can beat anybody.

“As a game plan, they came out here very prepared, but I think the superior came out today.”