On top of the hill

If you don’t know who Jenny Mulvihill is, then it’s about time you met her. Mulvihill has been the starting midfielder on the USF women’s soccer team for the past three seasons. She is the unquestionable leader of a Bulls team that is 4-1 on the season riding a hot streak of four straight wins heading into conference play. But talk to Mulvihill and you’ll see that she is more interested in a good joke than taking credit for the team’s recent success.

“I just try to do my stuff and hopefully everyone else follows,” Mulvihill said. “If it comes across as leadership then great. It seems to be that everyone wants to get everything done this year.”

The team motto for the Bulls this season is, in fact, “Get it Done,” a phrase that Mulvihill loosely translates into “Git-R-Done.”

“I yell it all the time,” Mulvihill said. “It’s fun sometimes, if you do it at the right moment. You can’t overdo it.”

With her comedic timing, Mulvihill has also embraced the role of team cut-up. Through games and practice, she is usually seen cracking a joke or two. Known affectionately as “Mully,” she is quick to lighten the mood, especially when a practice or a game is at its most serious.

“I’ve known her since freshman year, we’ve been best buddies for quite a while,” senior midfielder Katie Reed said. “She’s very sarcastic, very funny, a laid-back kind of girl.”

“I throw in a lot of sarcastic wit. I love to clown,” Mulvihill said. “You got to keep things light. I like to be having fun all the time.”

Mulvihill’s humor has helped the team come together, something it was missing last season.

It’s easier, though, to come together if you have someone almost exactly like you on the team. For Mulvihill, that person is her twin sister, Mindy, who starts as defender for the Bulls.

“We hang out all the time; we’re interested in the same stuff, basically. We have the same friends,” Jenny said. “We don’t really get sick of each other.”

Luckily, the constant contact has not put a strain on the sisters’ relationship.

“We are best friends,” Mindy said. “She’s kind of my strength, she knows how to say the right thing to put me right on track.”

The sisters spend most of their free time together, including spending a night a week watching a certain television show.

“I’m not really big on going out,” Mulvihill said. “I like hanging out and just chilling out with my friends. We have like, OC nights. We’re very serious about our OC.”

If you think she takes The OC seriously, then you haven’t seen her on the field.Mulvihill leads the team in goals (six) and points (12) and has scored at least one goal in the Bulls’ past four games, including back-to-back two-goal games. Mulvihill was also named Big East Offensive Player of the Week for the week of Sept. 5 — Sept. 11, and it was the first such weekly conference award for any Bull since Oct. 27, 2003, when Mulvihill earned the same honor in Conference USA.

Mulvihill’s recent offensive explosion has given hope to a Bulls team that dropped its season opener to Florida Atlantic.

“I was a little worried at the beginning (of the season),” Reed said. “After seeing how well we’ve been at practice and just how we have been playing on the field. We just want to keep it up.”

Through the first five games the Bulls have scored 12 goals as a team and have allowed only two, giving them a boost of confidence heading into a tough Big East schedule.

So if you didn’t know her before, Mulvihill is the laid-back women’s soccer student athlete who – despite her good play of late – could be spotted making a joke before rocketing a ball past the goalkeeper. Her friends know her, the Bulls last five opponents definitely know her, and now you can consider yourself introduced.

But with all that said, there is still one more introduction to make, and to anyone who knows her, they are sure what it’s going to be.

“We don’t care who gets the goal, how we get the goal, as long as we get the goal. It just happens to be me.”

Big East, meet Jenny Mulvihill.