DC-3 coming to Forum

The ladies of Destiny’s Child will grace Tampa Bay with their presence one last time. Last month, Beyonce, Michelle and Kelly made the announcement millions of fans hoped never to hear: After their current outing ends, there will be no more Destiny’s Child. This Saturday, the trio will rock the St. Pete Times Forum, and fans willing to pay $39.50 to $59.50 can see these “Independent Women” in their final Bay Area performance.

The group got its start back in the early ’90s and, as time progressed, became one of the most successful girl groups of all time. Besides the revolving set of members, Destiny’s Child’s music continually evolved with the times, staying fresh. The girls’ self-titled album went platinum and was carried by the strength of runaway hit “No, No, No.” But it wasn’t until the release of the group’s sophomore record, The Writing’s on the Wall, that they became pop stars. The album boasted hits such as “Say My Name,” “Jumpin’, Jumpin'” and “Bills, Bills, Bills.”

Controversy erupted when two of the members were booted out and replaced just before the release of their breakout single, “Say My Name.” Suddenly, Destiny’s Child was everywhere and the lineup changes became the butt of many a joke. But it was the girls who had the last laugh. “Survivor” became a massive hit that propelled sales of the Survivor LP to more than four million copies. After Survivor’s release, each of the members started dabbling in side projects: Michelle released two gospel records, Kelly starred in Freddy Vs. Jason and released a solo record while Beyonce headlined Austin Powers in Goldmember and unleashed Dangerously in Love, which spawned four top-five singles and sold in excess of four million copies domestically.

By the end of 2003, it didn’t seem likely that Destiny’s Child would reunite, but in the fall of 2004 the girls released Destiny Fulfilled with the marching band-inspired lead single “Lose My Breath.” The record, which unbeknownst to the public would be their last, quickly sold three million copies due in part to follow-up singles “Soldier” and “Girl.”

This will be the last time Tampa Bay will hear the likes of “Bootylicious” or “Bug-A-Boo,” so this is a must-see for fans and casual listeners of the band. For all the accomplishments, Destiny’s Child will bow out while still in their musical prime.