Revenge is mostly sweet

Anakin Skywalker is no more!

With his gradual descent into the dark side of the Force, players should prepare themselves for the darkest Star Wars game yet. It is hard to crack a smile as you watch Anakin destroy the Jedi Council one Jedi at a time. I would be lying if I said I didn’t shed a tear or two as I watched the demise of Mace Windu. Long gone are the days of the comic relief of Jar Jar Binks.

At the game’s opening, Obi-Wan and Anakin work together as master and padowan. As Anakin becomes a Jedi, he is no longer with his former master and begins his path from the light side of the Force. The game continues until the inevitable end with all the Jedi gone except Master Yoda and Kenobi. Anakin (now known as Sith Lord Darth Vader) is forced to face his former master and friend.

Those who enjoyed Jedi Power Battles may find Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith fun as well, as they are very similar in game style and format. Gamers play as both Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi as they make their way through the characters’ individual stories.

After each chapter is completed in story mode, players must upgrade their skills and strength using accumulated experience points to gain enough strength to face the more challenging chapters ahead.

There are no dull moments in the game, although environments in the levels are lacking some variety. If you don’t mind constantly battling in buildings rather than fighting outside once in a while, you’ll have no problems.

The player is launched into action from the start. The game is fast paced and plays like one large, intense lightsaber battle. Though the lightsaber is your only physical weapon, monotony does not become a problem when smashing the array of droids and other enemies that cross your character’s path, as you can string together combos and use a variety of Force powers. There is nothing that makes you feel more powerful then being able to pick your foe up off the ground using only your mind and hurling him into face of another enemy.

The game spans the entire length of the movie, but is still a little too short. It’s a good length for a rental, but not long enough to fork out $50. I would have liked it better if some chapters were entirely outside on one of the planets’ surfaces. It would make me feel I’m doing what I should be doing; getting some much needed exercise outside instead of playing video games all day.

As with most Star Wars games, Revenge of the Sith also has some awkward camera angles once in a while. Furthermore, while playing during some intense scenes, I came across moments when I felt the controls to be nearly non-responsive. Another disappointment came at the game’s end when I realized I had played the entire game without seeing one Wookiee.