New recruit signs with volleyball team

After signing two recruits on April 14, the USF volleyball team signed yet another recruit to a national letter of intent.

Coach Claire Lessinger announced that Nakia Williams, a 6-foot-2 middle blocker from Bowie, Md., will join the two outside hitters Stephanie Bradley and Stephanie Augustavo, who earned All-American honors, middle blocker Ashley McDowell and setter Kate Verhoff as the 2005 recruiting class for the fall season.

“We are thrilled with the addition of Nakia Williams to our freshman class,” said Lessinger, who led the team to a 9-20 record in her first season as head coach. “She is a strong, physical player with an enormous amount of potential. Her contagious personality and love for the game will be a joy to have in the gym every day. She is dedicated, driven and committed to excellence. USF is lucky to have her.”

Williams played for coach Diane McFadden at Bowie High School and also played for the Metro American Juniors Club in Washington, D.C. She earned second-team all-state honors and led her team to one county title and a division championship.

Women’s golf

USF freshman Christina Jones finished third in the Conference USA women’s golf Championships with a 54-hole 224 total to lead the Bulls. The team placed third at Germantown Country Club in Memphis.

Tulane won its second consecutive team title with the Green Wave’s Alison Walshe claiming medalist honors.

The 2005 tournament was USF’s final appearance in Conference USA before the move to the Big East. The USF women’s gold team won six of the 10 C-USA championships during its tenure in the league.