Men and women’s track and field

The USF men and women’s track and field teams participated in the Ole Miss Invitational in Oxford, Mississippi.

The men’s team placed fourth out of 16 teams, recording 61 points, just four points out of third place. Southern Illinois won the meet with 88 points.

“We are extremely thrilled with the way our guys competed today,” track and field coach Greg Thiel said. “The fact that we only brought 12 guys up here to Oxford says an awful lot and we’re pretty excited with the way that they performed.”

Junior Jonathan Miller won his second straight pole vault title in as many weeks with a height of 16-6 3/4 inches, six inches higher that his second-place competitor. Sophomore Steven Gaddis finished seventh with a height of 15-1 inches.

Recording a first place finish was sophomore Chris Cox in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:26.34, 2.5 seconds faster than the second place finisher.

In the 800-meter run, junior Derek Lincoln finished third with a time of 1:51.68 seconds.

Sophomore Jaydian Miller set a new school record, finishing fourth in the triple jump with a distance of 23-6 3/4 inches. Miller also had a fourth-place finish in the long jump at 49-3 1/2 inches.

Freshman Clint Dunlop was one of two Bulls to finish in the top 10 in the high jump, recording a height of 6-6 3/4 inches, giving him a fifth-place finish, while fellow freshman Brian Zipler placed 10th at 6-2 3/4 inches.

The women’s track and field team had a tougher time this weekend, finishing 14th out of 18 teams with 11.5 points.

In the pole vault, sophomore Megan Malone finished fourth with a height of 12-5 1/2 inches.

All-American senior Chandra Brewer finished fourth in the shot put with a throw of 53-3 1/2 inches, while freshman Misti Barber took eighth at 46-3/4 inches.

The Bulls next meet will be on April 16 in Coral Gables to compete in the Gatorade Invitational at the University of Miami.