In Brief:

USF appoints VP of planning and research

A candidate with extensive experience in the field of research, measurement and statistics has filled the assistant vice president position for institutional planning and research.

Michael E. Moore will be responsible for providing leadership in a new area of USF that includes institutional planning, policy development and reporting data to external agencies.

“We are delighted that someone with Dr. Moore’s experience and proven talent will be part of our team,” USF Provost Renu Khator said. “He has built institutional research at Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech and I think that his efforts at USF will be helpful to chairs, deans and others as they plan their academic and fiscal assets in coming years.”

The assistant vice president is part of the provost’s leadership team. Among his list of priorities, the most important will be the design and implementation of a Web-based decision support system for use by USF leaders in planning and performance assessment.

The provost’s office is responsible for all academic programs, budgets, faculty, research and facilities.

Moore has a bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate in research, measurement and statistics from Georgia State University., respectively. He served as designer of decision support systems, director of institutional research and director of planning and analysis during his tenure at Georgia State University.

Prior to his employment at GSU, he served as director of institutional research and planning at Georgia Southern University and assistant vice chancellor for planning for the Board of Regents of the university system of Georgia.

Moore will begin his career with USF on March 21.

Gina Araya

SG senate prepares plus/minus grading scale for faculty

As the Student Government senate met Tuesday night. attendance was just above quorum, probably due to midterms and the proximity of Spring Break.

Senate President Pro Tempore Hampton Dohrman pleaded for support at today’s Faculty Senate Executive meeting, where the SG senate will make a presentation on their plus/minus grading system proposal. They made a presentation at last month’s meeting, but were rebuffed and told to come back with a bigger and better plan.

The senate also voted on Bill 79, passed earlier, and vetoed by Student Body President Bijal Chhadva. The bill makes various small changes to Article II of the SG Constitution. The most notable change is in how the president would handle making a proposed budget; it would require him or her to form a budgetary committee rather than draft the budget personally.

The override passed nearly unanimously.

Since it would amend the SG Constitution, the resolution will have to pass a referendum to take effect.

Chris Gardner