Softball sweeps doubleheader again

Out with the old and in with the new. So the saying goes and at the USF Softball Complex on Wednesday, the Bulls (14-8) swept the two-game series against St. Bonaventure (0-2) thanks to the efforts of their old — senior Carmela Liwag — and their new — freshmen Bree Spence and Laura Wolf.

In the first game of the doubleheader, USF defeated the Bonnies 6-2 with some solid hitting by Liwag. The first baseman would score the Bulls’ first run in the first inning and drive in two more runs in the game on her way to going 3-for-3 with a walk.

With the Bulls holding on to a 3-2 lead in the fourth inning, Liwag hit a double — her second of the game and sixth of the season — off the left field wall to score Alycia LePage from second. USF added two more runs in the sixth to make the game 6-2 going into the top of the seventh. Spence entered the game in the last inning and got the final three outs and the save.

In the second game, Spence picked up right where she left off as the Bulls beat the Bonnies 2-1 in eight innings.

USF was down 0-1 in the bottom of the fifth when Christie Chapman scored on an error by Bonnies’ third baseman Ashley Bonetto to tie the game 1-1. After the Bulls failed to capitalize with two runners on base in the seventh, the game went into extra innings. When Spence shut down the Bonnies in the top of the eighth, the stage was set for another freshman — Wolf — to star for the Bulls. With Krista Holle at third and freshman Carly Griffin at second, the freshman catcher hit a double to left field that brought Holle home for the game-winning run.

Spence (6-3) pitched all eight innings for her second complete game of the year and the second game in a row she pitched extra innings. The freshman’s early success has come, she says, from how relaxed she is in the circle.

“My teammates have been great and so has my coach; they don’t put any pressure on me. I just come in here and do what I can do.”