Bulls shut down

With their bats quieted by a dominating pitching performance, the USF baseball team (9-6) fell to Louisiana-Lafayette 4-1 in their second game of the Hawaii Title Rainbow Tournament on Wednesday.

Louisiana-Lafayette’s Kevin Ardoin (4-0) gave up five hits and struck out seven in 6 2/3 innings and snapped the Bulls’ five-game winning streak.

Ardoin came into the game with a 0.89 ERA for a Louisiana-Lafayette team that is ranked 21st in the nation by Baseball America.

“We struggled offensively today,” USF coach Eddie Cardieri said. “We’re just not hitting good, top to bottom.”

Louisiana-Lafayette (12-0) struck early and roughed up the Bulls starting pitcher Chase Lirette (1-2) for three first-inning runs.

After a walk and a single, Phillip Hawke doubled to score both runners, and Hawke scored on a single by John McCarthy.

Louisiana-Lafayette scored an unearned run in the second inning to make it 4-0.USF scored in the third inning with Jeff Baisley’s single that scored Dexter Butler.

Later in the third, with the bases loaded, the Bulls had an opportunity to make the game close, but Brian Baisley struck out to end the Bulls’ threat.

“This is a good team,” Cardieri said. “And to only give up four runs, that’s pretty good.”

Louisiana-Lafayette beat Wichita State 19-4 on Tuesday.

The Bulls face host Hawaii on Thursday, with ace Casey Hudspeth (3-0) scheduled to pitch.

“We played well enough to win yesterday,” Cardieri said. “And came up on the short end today.”