Walk Bonds for good

It looks like the steroids have gone to his head.

Spewing hateful, condescending remarks toward and about the media, a bizarre Barry Bonds only dug himself deeper into his self-created pit of foolishness with downright stupid comments laced with shaky, questionable rationalization.

He was his usual self.

First off, Bonds — who claimed he didn’t know that steroids had been rubbed on his skin or put into his body — thinks using steroids doesn’t constitute cheating.

Right, and murder doesn’t constitute a crime.

“I don’t know what cheating is,” he said. “I don’t know if steroids (are) going to help you in baseball. I don’t believe steroids can help you — eye-hand coordination — technically hit a baseball.”

Yes, Bonds is a great hitter, and no, an average guy taking steroids wouldn’t be able to hit home runs like a major leaguer. But the added muscle to the hips, legs and arms would generate more bat speed that would, in turn, cause the ball to have more velocity coming off the bat.

It’s why Bonds, and whoever else used steroids, should be kicked out of professional baseball for life.

Steroids are cheating. Pure and simple. Adios.

If anything, what they’ve done is certainly worse than a certain manager who bet on his own team.

What Bonds, Giambi, Canseco and all the other dopers have done is tarnish the greatest game on earth. That’s their legacy — not numbers, records or awards.

They defrauded the game, the fans, their teammates and Major League Baseball.

And they don’t deserve to stick around to cause more damage.

And forget the asterisks. Wipe their numbers from the book completely. Bonds, and others, claim the steroids story is an old one, and that we need to move on for baseball to survive. But moving on would do no good. We need to discuss, analyze and most importantly, we need to teach future baseball players a lesson: Cheat and you’re gone.

It’s the only way to ensure the game’s moral survival.

But Bonds, oblivious to the true fan, thinks he deserves praise?

“I’ve always wanted (for a fan) to come over to me and just shake my hand and say, ‘You know what? Who cares. You’re a good ballplayer. You proved it. You know, you’ve done this, you’ve done that. We’re all supporting you.’ I’ve never heard that before,” he said.

Hopefully he never does.

Bonds went on to say he is happy where he is and that he wouldn’t care if he tripped down the stairs and never hit another homerun.

Neither would I.