Stetson’s hats off to men’s tennis

Stetson’s best wasn’t enough on Tuesday, as the Hatters fell to the USF men’s tennis team, 7-0.

The Bulls improved their record to 2-3 for the season as they won two of the three doubles matches and then went on to sweep the singles competition.

“I was very pleased with winning the doubles point for only the second time this season,” USF coach Don Barr said. “The whole team battled hard and showed a lot of heart. I’m very proud of their efforts.”

Despite missing the first four games of the season after undergoing shoulder surgery in the fall, senior Andreas Maroldt came out on top of a three-set singles match against Stetson’s Mario Alberto Cayo, beating him 4-6, 6-1, 6-4.

“I was hoping (Andreas) would be able to keep his stamina up and hold up with the high tempo of the match,” Barr said. “I saw excellent play from home and that’s a good thing. (This win) will give him confidence, especially in bringing his serve back up to where it was.”

On the other courts, the Bulls’ No. 1 seed, Uli Kiendl, defeated Stetson’s Echtler 6-4, 6-3, and juniors Federico Barton and Juan Barragan defeated their opponents 6-2, 7-6 and 6-3, 4-6, 6-0, respectively. USF freshmen Dillon Brozyna and Juan Carlos Gomez defeated their opponents 6-3, 6-1 and 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 to secure the USF shutout.

“We needed to win this (match),” Barr said. “Now we don’t have to worry about teams coming in and making a run at us (at the tournament). It’s a real confidence builder.”

The Bulls take to the court again when they travel to New Orleans on Feb. 26 as the No. 2 seed in the Conference USA Shootout. There, the team will face either Southern Mississippi or Charlotte, depending on the outcome of the Golden Eagles and 49ers’ matches.