Women’s basketball continues to win

Earlier in the season, the Bulls (18-9, 8-5 C-USA) were thought of as a team that struggled on the road.

Not anymore.

The USF women’s basketball team defeated UAB 62-53 to win its third straight road game and its fourth overall.

“(Our early road losses) were just a matter of the circumstances,” coach Jose Fernandez said. “We had a lot of injuries, and now that people are back, everybody’s got their confidence back.”

For a month earlier in the season, the Bulls were without their most important inside presence, center Nalini Miller. The sophomore played sparingly in the first half versus UAB, with Fernandez saying, “We just didn’t think we needed it.”

Sophomore Jessica Dickson and senior Anedra Gilmore each scored 15 points as the Bulls won their eighth conference game, a school record.

Dickson is well on her way to being one of USF’s most prolific scorers, as she is just 14 points shy of becoming the first female in program history to score 1,000 points before the end of her sophomore season.

USF controlled most of the game, leading by as many as 20 points, but a feisty UAB (7-19, 4-9 C-USA) was able to cut the lead to four points late in the fourth quarter. But USF held on for the victory.

“We were able to make plays down the stretch,” Fernandez said, “and we closed out the game.”

Alana Tanksley added 11 points, hitting three first-half three-pointers. Sharon Cambridge added 10 for the Bulls, who will play their last game ever in C-USA Saturday at home versus UAB.

The Bulls have already clinched a spot in the C-USA tournament and are holding out hope for an NCAA Tournament berth.

“This is the time of year you want to be playing your best basketball,” Fernandez said.