USF Lakeland adds associate VP

The Lakeland USF campus has appointed Judith Ponticell as its first associate vice president for Academic Affairs, a position that she will begin on March 30. In 2003, Ponticell became part of the USF Lakeland staff as the chairwoman of the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies.

“I find this to be an exciting opportunity and am greatly honored to have the opportunity to work with my colleagues at the Lakeland campus. It’s a campus on the move with professionals who are committed to doing so,” Ponticell said.

Ponticell attended the University of Illinois at Chicago, where she received a master’s in educational administration policy and evaluation as well as a doctorate in curriculum and instruction. Having received several teaching, service, research and leadership awards, Ponticell served as the chair of the Department of Educational Leadership and Organizational Learning at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque and as assistant associate professor at Texas Tech in the Department of Educational Psychology and Leadership. She also served as the university’s coordinator for the Educational Leadership master’s and doctoral programs.

“Her experience, talent and vision set her apart from a strong pool of candidates from all over the nation and abroad. I am confident she will provide excellent leadership and ensure that the faculty and staff achieve their maximum potential and help USF Lakeland fulfill its strategic goals,” Provost Renu Khator said of Ponticell in a USF News press release.

When asked what she’d like to accomplish as AVP, Ponticell responded, “The Lakeland campus has set high standards and goals for itself to demonstrate what it can contribute to the overall mission of the university. I hope that what I have learned in curriculum, instruction and policy can be helpful to the faculty, staff, students and the community of Lakeland as we work together to achieve those goals.”